- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
Table of Contents
Both dogs and cats tend to shed more in the spring to prepare for the warmer temperatures in the summer months. If you’re a pet parent, that means that your home (and everything in it) is probably covered in pet hair. Time to check out the best handheld pet hair vacuums.
Dealing with excess pet hair is a pain, but these lightweight, efficient handhelds can get rid of the pet hair on your clothes, your furniture, and everything else in the house. Because they’re compact, you can reach into tight corners and crevasses. You can tame the drifts of pet fur in every room of your house—without dragging a piece of heavy equipment out of the closet. (The cordless models will even get your car looking great.)
Here’s a round-up of some of our favorite handheld vacuums.
The 9 Best Handheld Pet Hair Vacuums
If you’re in the market for a vacuum that provides both convenience and power specifically designed for pets, you’ll love this handheld vacuum. Weighing in at less than four pounds, this vacuum provides powerful suction and deep cleaning in a small and lightweight package. The TruePet Motorized Brush is great for pulling even the most stubborn of pet hair from carpets and upholstery, and with its easy-to-empty dust cup, all you have to do to get rid of the pet hair when you’re done vacuuming is push a button—there are no bags to remove or replace.
- The 15-foot power cord gives you the freedom to clean large areas of your home without unplugging or recharging. (Note that it doesn’t automatically retract—you’ll need to roll up the cord by hand.)
- Weighing less than 4 pounds, this vacuum is lightweight, compact, and portable
- TruePet Motorized Brush accessory is specifically designed to tackle hard-to-remove pet hair
- Washable and reusable filters mean zero maintenance costs
Verified review: “I love that the Shark comes with multiple attachments: a crevice tool, a motorized brush, a standard upholstery tool, and an extension wand/hose—giving you the perfect tool for each surface. I was able to suck up cat litter and pet hair on hardwood stairs, cement floors, pet (and human) beds, antique wool rugs, and even the car. It had superior suction power to other vacuums I tried, was relatively quiet, and very maneuverable.”
(For a very in-depth review and test of the Shark Rocket Handheld Vacuum, read our article, Bissell vs Shark: The Ultimate Handheld Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner Smackdown.)
One of the most important features of any vacuum is the motor—that’s especially true when you’re trying to vacuum stubborn, hard-to-remove pet hair. This hand vacuum features a 100-watt high-powered motor to remove pet hair from your couch, upholstery, and stairs.
- Comes equipped with four easily interchangeable attachments—including a pet brush and a crevice tool for getting into hard-to-reach corners
- Cordless vacuum with up to 30 minutes of continuous run time
- The vacuum comes with a hassle-free 12-month warranty
- Comes with a carrying bag for easy transport and storage
Black & Decker is one of the most trusted names in the vacuum industry. Their products are known for being reliable and effective—and this handheld model is no exception.
The Dustbuster comes equipped with anti-tangle rubber bristles designed to remove stubborn pet hair from carpet, upholstery, and other surfaces—and if you have pet hair hiding in hard-to-reach corners, you’ll appreciate this model’s extra-long crevice tool. Those features, plus a one-touch emptying tool that allows you to easily clear the large dust canister (without getting your hands covered in dirt and hair) make for a pet hair removal winner. Users do report, however, that the motor is on the loud side.
- Battery indicator lets you know when it’s time to recharge
- Washable filter and pre-filter make cleaning and maintenance a cinch
- Four times more suction and 145% longer running time than comparable Black & Decker handheld models
- Extra-large dustbin holds more dirt and hair—which means less frequent emptying
Does this vacuum live up to its “Pet Perfect” name? We think so.
It was designed specifically to tackle pet messes—including pet hair—on floors, carpet, upholstery, and other surfaces. It includes pet-centric tools like a detachable pet brush and a crevice tool to access hard-to-reach corners. Twister suction technology makes this compact vacuum ideal for lifting embedded pet hair.
This handheld is cordless, so you can take it anywhere in your home and out to your car. As one reviewer raves, “We used it to pick up dog hair that was stuck in the crevices of a carpeted basement staircase and it had no trouble getting it all up with the crevice tool. … With the pet hair roller attachment, it easily got rid of the dog hair on the couch that we use[d] to have to get the big Dyson vacuum out with the hose to pick up. This makes that job a ton easier. I love this thing!!”
- Cordless design and long-lasting lithium battery make for easy on-the-go pet hair removal
- The dust cup holds nearly half a quart of dust and pet hair
- The bagless design makes cleanup easy.
Holife isn’t exactly a household name—but don’t let that deter you! As one Amazon reviewer wrote, “I bought this solely on reviews and LOVE this vacuum! It’s super lightweight, holds a charge, comes with multiple attachments, is reasonably priced, and has awesome suction.”
Between the powerful suction (strong enough to pick up coins), extended battery life, and ergonomic design, this handheld vacuum is a powerhouse when it comes to removing pet hair.
- Powerful suction allows for deep cleaning and pet hair removal
- Six 22.2V batteries provide 30 minutes of continuous battery life
- Ergonomic design allows you to vacuum comfortably
- 60-day money-back guarantee and three-year warranty
If you want a truly small and light handheld vacuum, consider the Shark Wandvac. Weighing in at just 1.4 pounds, this is one of the most lightweight handhelds on the market. It’s cordless, with a lithium battery that charges in a quick 2.5 hours.
- LED light displays battery power, so it’s easy to know when it’s time for a charge
- Multi-surface tool allows you to easily clean up pet hair on couches, carpet, floors, and other surfaces
- The crevice tool makes it easy to clean pet hair in traditionally tough-to-reach spots
- Easy, push-button dust bin cleaning
If your pet tends to get into hard-to-reach corners of your home (and let’s be real—many pets do!), this handheld vacuum has you covered; it’s equipped with an LED light for cleanups in dark corners. As for cleaning power, this vacuum does wet and dry vacuuming, has multiple nozzle attachments, and can easily handle a 30-minute cleaning session on one battery charge.
- LED light helps you see in hard-to-reach corners
- Stainless steel HEPA filter is washable and durable
- Cordless design makes it easy to clean up pet hair on the go
This handheld’s pro-cyclonic suction not only picks up pet hair, dirt, debris, and other allergens in your home, but it prevents them from being released back into the air. It also features noise-reduction technology, a variety of attachments, and 40 minutes of battery life (more than most of the other handhelds on this list).
As this Amazon customer reports, “I bought this vacuum for the purpose of sucking up all of the shed dog hair from my German shepherd. … No hoses to block. No back that fills up each day because there is so much fur. The attachments are long enough that no bending is required and the vacuum is powerful enough to suck the fur up, no problemo! The charge lasts long enough for me to go through my 1,200 sq ft, 2 bdrm house and then I just plug it back in for the next day. Only takes about 10 to 15 minutes to get the job done.”
- The pro-cyclonic suction system is both powerful and ideal for allergy sufferers
- Comes with six attachments
- Cordless design and extended battery power
- Reduced noise—sound stays below 75 decibels
While it won’t replace a larger, more powerful handheld vacuum for bigger surfaces, Bissell’s little number is good for furniture, dog beds, cat trees, and small messes. It’s lightweight, handheld, and boasts a nozzle with rubber comb-like bristles to grab dog and cat hair. Our reviewer found, however, that the Pet Hair Eraser is really just for pet hair and isn’t as effective for sucking up regular old dirt. Read our in-depth review of the Bissell here.
More Tips on Handheld Pet Hair Vacuums
Here are a few additional things to look out for as you shop for the best vacuum for you (and your pet!):
- Noise. Some vacuums are louder than others—and sensitive pets may be afraid of or bothered by the noise. If that’s the case, look for a vacuum that’s designed to be on the quieter side.
- Ergonomic design. It might take more than a few minutes of vacuuming to clear your house of pet hair—so make sure you choose a handheld vacuum with a design that will keep you comfortable and pain-free.
- Look for a warranty. No matter how much research you do or how well-reviewed a pet hair vacuum is, there is always a chance it could break. Make sure that you protect yourself and purchase a vacuum that comes with a warranty.
These handheld vacuums will go a long way towards keeping your home (and yourself, and your car—and everything else) free of pet hair. For more tips, tricks, and tools to keep that fur down, check out a few of our other articles below.